4000% renewable electricity,
100% renewable energy target for transportation, heating/cooling,
[Read more about the project]
Interview with Heinrich Bartelt,
RegenerativKraftwerke Harz GmbH & Co. KG
1. What inspired the decision for your community to pursue your 100% renewable energy goal?
The city council decided 2006 to become a “Renewable Energy Town” after 15 years of activities supporting and shifting towards renewable energy (Added by Go 100 Percent: The town’s first 80 kW windmill was installed in 1993.)
2. What mix of technologies have you used and/or do you intend to use? Why have you made these choices?
Wind power, solar PV and biomass produce 40 times more electricity than Dardesheim needs, and 10 times the need for electricity heat, cooling and mobility.
3. What have been the greatest obstacles so far? If you have overcome any of them, how did you do it?
The biggest challenge besides reaching the 100% renewable energy goal was to get a 100% support from our community. We managed this by offering different forms of community participation in the projects.
4. Were there policies that were particularly effective to helping your project advance? Were there any policies or regulations that stood in your way, and if so, how have you handled this?
The most important framework is the EEG (Feed-in-tariff) with a 100% interconnection guarantee, a must-take provision, and a minimum compensation for all renewable sources which feed into the grid.
5. What have been the greatest benefits of your project so far?
Clean environment, added value in the region, jobs, promotion with the help of local associations of social and cultural local activities, increasing energy security and reducing international conflicts over scarce fossil resources, and participating with joy.